Popular Posts

Saturday, October 30, 2010

One Push

 From October of 1990 until August of 2000, I was the sponsor of two Alateen groups that met at a 12 step recovery club in Falls Church, Virginia. I also was a paid employee, for a good part of the time at that club.

 We had some rather wild young people who attended the NA and AA meetings that were held on Wednesday nights. Mark was one of the more sullen young people who attended the meetings there. He seemed to take a liking to me- told me I listened to him, looked him in the eye and didn't seem to think that he was dangerous to be around. It's funny Mark could be very much of an intimidator but for some unknown reason I chose NOT to be in fear of him.

 He would readily admit that he could be a troublemaker but not all the time at the prestigious public HS he attended in North Arlington. Over a couple of weeks, He told me that the Principal had been blaming him for nearly any and every student behavior problem that occurred within the Junior class. . Mark also told me that he was getting very tired about being singled out.

 Then, a Vandalism problem occurred and he was called to task for being the ringleader. I asked him if he knew who was involved and he said he did. I suggested that he share with the principal what he knew and HE ACTUALLY DID! The pinncipal listened and then a few days later told Mark again that he KNEW itt was him and that he was NOT going to rest until he proved it.

 Then , I didn't see Mark for about a month. I learned when I next saw him that he and the Principal went to war with each other. The Principal got in Marks' face accusing him and being very derogatory with a huge crowd of student watching. He pushed the pnciplal- shoved him hard and he went backward and down a landing to the next floor. The Principal, amazingly, just was bruised and sore but threatened to have Mark arrested asd expelled.

 Instead of going nuclear, Mark told the principal to call his father. Mark's Dad, an attorney, came immediately to the school and, to Mark's total shock his dad forcefully took up for him. It was along these lines - " I know that My Son is a majorly annoying pain in the a**, but he is far from the only difficult -to -deal with kid in this school." and " Is there a reason why you feel Mark is the prime suspect in the vandalism, Where is your proof?" and " Is there any particular reason you needed to insult and malign my son in front of a large crowd of  his friends and fellow students!" The father admitted that what his son had done was " inappropriate, obnoxious, and foolish" but he also challenged the Principle to look at his role in that confrontation as well. Finally, He demanded that the principal bring in the police and properly investigate the vandalism!

       There was an investigation and Mark was clearly shown to have not been a party of it. I think Mark, in every way was wrong in the way he dealt with his principal, especially when he shoved him. Yet, and I would have never thought this of this sullen hard a** then 17 year old but was his response the response of one who felt bullied.

 I guess I will never completely know but it is ONE of those things. looking back on it now, that made me go "hmmmm" then and it still does to this day!

  - Johnny-

No comments:

Post a Comment