Popular Posts

Monday, October 14, 2013

The Very Long Goodbye !

 Mount Vernon, Kentucky ia a long way off for someone who does not own a car and does not drive. It is from my Lincolnia Area Apartment  In Fairfax County, Virginia- within The DC Inner burbs -is 404 miles away ,  if you travel in a straight line. By the best road connection- 554 Miles. From Union Station Greyhound to Lexington, Kentucky - 669 miles. all of this one way.

Lexington is 54 miles from Mount Vernon so- one way there- if I take the bus - is 723 miles.

The transition is also proving to be long. I am one day, as of today short of 3 months away from my exiting DC permanently day. I will be back for visits- but that is not the same.The transition is already under way. There are boxes of books on my living room floor and I'm talking to people who may be interested in taking many books. My book collection is to be severely trimmed. Yesterday,Sunday October 13TH, My Best Friend And The Associate Pastor of Grace Community Church, Derek Adye, took pictures of my furniture. He will send those to missions that Grace Community Church supports to see if anyone connected with them or who they serve, would like to be the NEXT owner of my furnishings.

I have been a Toastmaster sine February 11TH, 1991. Greater DC Toastmasterdom has been a core activity for me- an overall very nurturing and gratifying experience.  Over that time, I've been a vital, active and participating member of many Toastmaster Clubs - some for long periods of time, some for a noticeably shorter period of time.

I will make a "Final " visit to three clubs over the next FIFTEEN days- These Clubs are all DISTRICT 36 Clubs -Advance and Conquer, DTM Leaders and The DC Advanced Toastmasters. I have never been a member of The DTM leaders club. It is a very impressive club filled with gifted and many generous of time and spirit Toastmasters.


Advance and Conquer is blessed to have people who are currently in The District Leadership invested in it. DCA-  Club 5377 - The DC Advanced Toastmasters Club- is one I joined in 1996. Over the last 17 years, It has really helped me to see Toastmasters in a more paramedic and devoted sense. I became a DTM there through the challenges given to me by A Late Past District Governor, Nancy McCeney.

That this process and saying good bye to numerous Toastmasters at varying meetings and events will be an active part of my last 3 months is rather overwhelming. I love My Amanda Lynn and I yearn for the beautiful calm of Mount Vernon, Kentucky but I know this will not be an easy one fourth of a year to navigate through.

- Johnny-




















No comments:

Post a Comment