Popular Posts

Monday, January 16, 2012

Bringing out the Best in Others

 We live in a society that can be wonderful due to the fact that we, as a people, are uninhibitedly free to express our freedom and individuality. Some Americans seem to choose to do so in ways that I believe are jarring disconcerting, confrontational, antagonistic and divisive.

   I do understand that America has much to apologize for the way that we, as a nation and as a people, have treated those we see as other/ not like us. This includes people of color, people of a different ethnicity, people who do not speak our language and people with differing sexual orientations.

I also see people who seem to want to express their freedom by literally intimidating others . People who seem to like glaring and staring. People who like to say LOUDLY who they do not like and why they do not like them. People who if they did not use rude and offensive language would be mute for they would not have any way to say anything.

 I know that I must accept people as they are and that I cannot control anyone. Yet, I do believe that we have the power to set a good example that will be attractive enough for other people to be drawn to, I believe that, if done with the right motives and the noblest of intentions, it can create unity, cooperation and make us all stronger as we are united in healthy way that we can ALL benefit from and that would simply make all of us better people.

 I'm actually one that still sees benefit in the old  "Melting Pot" theorem. NOT in the sense that we all think as if we are all descendants of Northern and Far Western Europeans but in the sense that we all see value in focusing on that which will bring out that which is best in others- kindness, caring, compassion. being concerned with allowing our children to gain all the best advantages of growing up as a young person in The United States. I think we all need to reject intimidation, bullying, vulgarity, unprovoked stridency and " You can't tell me anything" ways of living.

   I enthusiastically and wholeheartedly embrace this bit of ancient wisdom,  "Do not use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful so that your words will benefit those who will listen." ( Ephesians 4:29). The writer of this did not always practice this, neither do I. Yet, It is a goal of mine and it intensely bothers and frustrates me when I fail to do so on a daily basis! I will also say that even if no one follows a noble and uplift and empowering idea that does not make it null and void. The truth and the power of said make it  something highly worthy of following and living by even if only 35 out of 7 Billion people rigorously live by it!

Dr. King knew this truth and harnessed it. People who were a part of his efforts- spoke well, decently and eloquently. They were well-manner and presented an appealing model for others to practice. Those who opposed them were made to look gruesome and repellant by comparison.It is hard to express public loathing of dignified and wholesome acting people without sliming yourself!

 I grew up in the Bronx and saw within my own family, my neighborhood and in my schools repulsive, menacing, spirit-sickening and ghastly behavior. One reason I left the Bronx is because I wanted to distance myself and cast my " no" vote towards condoning such behavior. I , today, will disconnect from people who want to shock you into being in submission to their disruptive and undesirable behavior.

A Final Note- The antagonism towards the Occupy people is more inspired by their conduct rather than the issues they advocate. The Mayor of Washington DC has ordered the clearing out and clean up of one of the occupy sites due to the protestors' militant disregard of  health, hygiene and public safety.

In a society that is becoming more and more vinegary , Honey is still a MUCH better and wiser option!

- Johnny -

No comments:

Post a Comment