In the late 1970's, A Kansas Man, Bill James, who has I understand was a night watchman at the time, used his love of baseball to create a Sports Revolution.
Mr. James had just about zero patience with baseball folk wisdom that explained the way the Sport worked. He fewlt that too many people were saying things that had never been well-calculated, thought out and evaluated. It bothered him when sports writers and baseball commentators spewed out information that was just their opinion or what others had, likely thoughtlessly and uncarefully, had passed on to them.
Bill had a passion for researching records and was and still is a gifted mathematician. He applied formulas to models and then began to share Baseball Analysis tied to what can be both observed and documented, what, simply, could be proven.
Bill James started to self-publish at the end of the 1970's. By The Early 1980's, Ballantine Books published the first of the Annual Bill James Baseball Abstracts. Bill, becoming irritated by some of the demands of the fans who loved his work, ended the annual abstracts with the 1988 Edition.
Then, In 1989, The First Madden Game was released. Baseball, Basket-Ball and Hockey among other sports had their games, also, reproduced in a video game format. This makes me wonder, How much of what Bill James started to work on 35 plus years ago make possible the Games that EA Sports, 2K Sports and other enterprises now routinely design and market.
Billy Beane , of Money Ball Fame, says his theories and their practice all owe muck to the work of Mr. James. Alan Barra has admitted he borrows liberally from James in his well-regarded efforts to analyze The NFL.
This, I AM inclined to wonder, Do The Sports Games Producers, heed to consider Bill James to be Their Founding Father and Patron Saint?
- Johnny-
Popular Posts
-
All things start and all things move forward and come to an end so shall it now be with This Beloved Blog of Mine! The First entry was ty...
-
Adam LaRoche, The First Basemen for The Washington Nationals just MIGHT have made life easier for Principals and Teache...
-
We are now hearing about what a BRUTAL and Nasty bully New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is. The last two Redskin head coaches and the ...
-
and I've actually thrived here - in GREATER DC.
-
I am only as sick as my secrets! That which I so intensely hide tends to warp and corrupt me. Expressing myself and telling you what I thin...
-
I was in the midst of working- tutoring a nine year old boy when the Earthquake struck,. The room went up and down the lights flickered and...
-
However, That does not mean, even on the verge, that waiting isn't appropriate and most necessary.
-
Darn! I must remember that sports do not = life!
-
the Finish Line .
-
What you do when you are in a situation where you feel strongly about something and really!!! want your way, There are times when you can t...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment