Popular Posts

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Are these gross and unseemly encounters REALLY ....

necessary?


  I , as I have noted, lived in really desolate area of the Bronx throughout my boyhood . In many ways, New York City is a marvel of a city to reside it. Having typed this, All I really miss of the city is My Yankees. Dirty streets, High Crime Area, too many people who liked to stir up drama, crisis and malevolence made the City of My birth a place that I rejoiced to be free of.


I will soon no longer be a residence of The Greater DC Region. I'd like to recount a story of what I encountered in DC on October 23RD. I was on my way to a Favorite Toastmaster Club of Mine in The Foggy Bottom Area.

I stopped off at The Cafeteria at The George Washington University Hospital. I wanted a cup of coffe and I severely needed to relieve myself.


I set my things down on a table and raced to the men's room. The urinal was out -of order. I noticed that the stall door was opened and I noticed a man standing in there- not using the stall but standing there.

" Sir, I've got to relieve myself now, please let me use the stall."  " No!" " I can't wait!" " your problem not mine.


I then told the person he need to step out of that stall - to go.  I was then told " You wouldn't talk to me this way if I were white."

 This went on for a bit and finally he stepped out of the stall. I barely avoided flooding my clothes with liquid wastes. This should never be  allowed to occur ever.

I will admit that Ronald Reagan was wrong, We need to have places to place people who can't care for themselves and who will be nothing more than a difficulty for themselves and others. I know that there are many reasons why people are homeless. I have learned that and I feel for such unfortunates- I was homeless during the last half of 2003. However, It is vile to take out your misfortune on others.
There are also people who are predators, trouble makers and bad actors who gain pleasure out of inflicting as much misery as they possibly can on others. they take pride in their ability to do this well!

I do not know exactly what this man was dealing with. I know that I did nothing that would warrant my being placed in this embarrassing and self-contaminating position.


 My Good Friend And Love, Born and Raised in Rural Kentucky told me  when I told her this tale that, " People do not get to impose themselves on people that way. People will not accept disruptive  behavior there.


She further explained that The man would have been told to behave himself NOW and leave and not return. If he objected  and raised up a fuss , he likely would wind up in jail - at least until he could be evaluated.

I think people, more people than we usually admit, are tired of dealing with these circumstances and these behaviors.

I wish I could say the George Washington U encounter was rare for me. Sadly, It is just not. There have been far too many of them , especially on Metro! I love my nation and I do like many things about Our Capital City. It is just I'm tired of dealing with the vile attitudes and the wretched behaviors that I , too often, am confronted by.

I've been a member of AA for 22 plus years. I guess I think of one of AA's sayings, " I do NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT unacceptable behaviors." That is why I'm glad that I have not lived in The Bronx since 1977 and why, while I will miss much about it, I'm pleased that I will be hundreds of miles away from Washington DC by this time next month.

- Johnny -




                  

No comments:

Post a Comment