Most of The Traditional and Classic Christmas Music, music that speaks of Spiritual themes, seems to adddress large and cosmic themes. Even the music that refers to individuals tends to still educate us to grander, deeper and far more astounding and dynamic themes. They are almost more theology lessons than musical celebration of the beliefs of the composer and singer.
Many of the Christmas songs that originated in the last 15 to 20 years seem to be focused upon individuals rather than the " Great Themes" Two songs that come to mind are a song written by Mark Lowry of Gaither Music Fame - " Mary, Did You Know?" Another such song is " Christmas Shoes" by New Song. This song tells us the story of a boy who buys a pair of special shoes for his dying mother so " that she will look beautiful if she meets Jesus tonight."
These are favorite songs of mine, I do deeply enjoy BOTH of them- HOWEVER IT IS RATHER DIFFICULT to compare them to "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" and " O Holy Night".
I wonder if there is a focus on " My God is personal and I want you to know what He has done in my life" that has become dominant and prevelant in American Christianity over the this current score of years!
- Johnny-
Popular Posts
-
All things start and all things move forward and come to an end so shall it now be with This Beloved Blog of Mine! The First entry was ty...
-
Adam LaRoche, The First Basemen for The Washington Nationals just MIGHT have made life easier for Principals and Teache...
-
We are now hearing about what a BRUTAL and Nasty bully New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is. The last two Redskin head coaches and the ...
-
and I've actually thrived here - in GREATER DC.
-
I am only as sick as my secrets! That which I so intensely hide tends to warp and corrupt me. Expressing myself and telling you what I thin...
-
I was in the midst of working- tutoring a nine year old boy when the Earthquake struck,. The room went up and down the lights flickered and...
-
However, That does not mean, even on the verge, that waiting isn't appropriate and most necessary.
-
Darn! I must remember that sports do not = life!
-
the Finish Line .
-
What you do when you are in a situation where you feel strongly about something and really!!! want your way, There are times when you can t...
No comments:
Post a Comment