Popular Posts

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Gritty Grace

 I , too often. decide to not do what I believe will be too tough and demanding. I hen compound this weakness by saying that this is proof that people do not care by saying, " I should not be in THIS situation"

Earlier today, I was drowning in the frustration of " This is not" what I want. I didn't want to walk over small sections of I - 395, in  The Western Part of Alexandria Virginia to get to a shell of a shopping mall to take a Bus, Two Trains and and then ride in a van to get to church. What I had wanted was to get to ride to Church, to be picked up where I live.I'd rather have a pleasant ride and a pleasant conversation on a Sunday Morning. I have often noted that I dislike being single because, especially on weekends, I spend too many hours without and direct, face to face communication. I know I can meditate and I do. I know I can give of myself and I'm very willing to volunteer- I'll be traveling to Mexico on Thursday morning to serve as a volunteer on a Church project- this will be occurring from July 7th through the 12th. Yet, I want more face to face conversation with interesting,  likable and desirable people.

 So, I trudge out, unwillingly but knowing that I really needed to. At Church, I heard the story of a woman who was born and raised in Iran. She had decided to become a Christian. She knew that doing so placed under great peril! She came to the Washington Area in 2008 to attend the wedding of a relative. She found that the police had been seeking her out and her not being present at home kept her from being arrested. She believes that she will face arrest, torture and execution should she return to The Islamic Republic of Iran!

 This showed me why I needed, in part , to be at Church earlier today. God, in His sovereign will, has allowed me to be effective around children and young people. I bring a bag with some 50 or 60 Sports Cards- Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball. I give some of these cards away at Church each Sunday. A number of the young people at Grace seem to look forward to those cards. I learned long ago that it is easy to say that you want to serve young people. However, When you are willing to spend money and put yourself out, Your commitment is taken far more seriously!

 One Boy who I offered the chance to reach into the bag and grab a back of cards was a remarkable 8 year old! He is an extraordinarily intelligent, creative and most gifted child. He is very intuitive and, loves to question and to seek- his intellectual hunger is a wonder to absorb. He gave me a bear hug today after choosing some baseball cards. He held on tight and said " Thank you" in a clearly appreciative way. I suddenly found myself saying, " You like me, Don't you"" He solemnly and touchingly nodded his head " Yes". Someone was showing me that I matter very much to him and that he values and appreciates me.This is a boy that I often pray for.

 I celebrate the fact that  he has truly Godly, loving, devoted and lovable parents." Toby" reminds me a lot of myself as a boy, personality wise and nature wise, He is just about an identical twin to what I was like as a boy. I serve as a model of what abusive monsters can do " Toby: is a model of what loving, caring and devoted can bring about in their children.

 I'm glad for this Sunday. It was a day of blessing by way of " Gritty Grace"!

No comments:

Post a Comment