Popular Posts

Monday, July 4, 2011

Near The Street where I live...

 I have long promised to be candid and disclosive here. I have a pleasant apartment- it is a great improvement over where I lived preciously.

 The problem is the neighborhood that I live in- as I moved literally from one side of the street to the other last April 30th, That has not changed. I live on SSI and SSDI and I am a mental health consumer availing myself of the services of the Fairfax County,Virginia Mental Health System.

  I live on a very busy street, as I noted yesterday- a street just off a major interstate, I- 395. On the opposite side of a street, That block is a mixed commercial and residential street- Half the Block is a series of drive in business and people use the connected drive ways as a type of road. People zip in and zip out often without much regard for any pedestrian awareness.

I've also noticed that a local homeless  man frequents the local Mc Donald's and the 7-11, both which are within that complex of business I just alluded to! He seldom washes and seems to be rather stained by his own wastes, rather unpleasant and certainly a health risk. I know that he has a right to function as best he can and to live in the least restrictive way possible. Yet, I will admit that I find him unsavory and stomach turning. I wonder if there aren't health laws that govern such!

 I do really want a way of escape. The Mental Health System really only works to get people to get to a point of stabilization. If we want more, We are expected to figure out how to gain it! Churches are not set up to help people in that regard either. One friend  suggests that I need to figure out what it will cost me to gain the support I need, write up a business proposal and get people to fund me- convince them that I'm worth the risk.

My apartment is great - The setting I walk into each day simply---- is------ not. I know that I can't control others and that I have to accept what I cannot change. However, I'd love to make dealing with people who can't control their behavior, moderate themselves to be appropriate or who serve as a continual health and sanitation problem a very!!!!! RARE!!!! event!

No comments:

Post a Comment