Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I want it so but I know I do not need it!

 Earlier today, I went to a Game Spot 2 blocks away to put down a few ,ore dollars down on the Madden'12 Game that I've ordered for my PS2 system. No, That is not my mis-typing, I devoutly wish that it was, but sadly my prime gaming system is -YIKES - a PS 2! Yuck.

 Two days ago, I was shown how minimally I live and how I'm really hopelessly not current. I tried to add an update to My Hopelessly outdated and humble computer. I wanted to update my Firefox and I was told " You have the most advanced version that your system CAN work with."

 I thought about this as I looked at a USED XBOX 360 available at the price of 139.00. I considered that I do have a little money- no great sum in my checking account. I also reminded myself of how frugal/ stingy I often am. I also tried to convince myself that- " You really do need to spoil yourself. You really deserve this". I had the card in my hand and really tried to convince myself that this is " what I must do- right now!"

 Yet, I don't have a lot of money and an unexpected emergency would quickly leave me destitute and in a difficult position to financially regain my footing.. The clerk reminded me, at that point, how much more impressive and life-like games like Madden appear on an XBox 360 or a PS3. I still decided, barely, that the best thing to do was to live with a less impressive Madden 12 for THE PS 2 and I do not, tonight, have a better gaming system.

 At 3:30 , Northern Virginia Time, I will be leaving my apartment and heading to a rendezvous with the good people of the El Florido Colonias. They live near the top of a small, bleak and rugged mountain high above the city of Tecate, Mexico. By American Standards, I am most financially, electronically and perhaps socially insignificant! I'm very well off and very blessed when compared to how the people live in That Colonias! I'm wealthy and indeed prosperous compared to those earnest,resourceful and impoversihed men and women and youth and children.

 I will be part of a team of 21 people representing the Grace Community Church. I am slotted to work on helping to renovate the school- which is at the very top of the mountain. On this trip , The assignment that I will be involved in is building a school cafeteria. Others from our team will be involved in teaching health, sanitation and nutrition. Another group will conduct a Vacation Bible School. They will also teach crafts to both the children and the adults. They will also be providing recreation activities!

What I am proud of is this- What we are doing is not an agenda that we concocted. We are serving the people of El Florido as they have asked us to serve them!  They are also invested- literally- in this project. After they submitted their desires list to Joshua Hadder- Our Missions Director- He asked them if they would be willing to raise a Thousand Dollars. The people there who work make 80 Dollars a week and less. There is a Toyota Factory in Tecate! They promiseed Josh the One Thousand Dollars and they came through.

The people El Florido have little and they know that they must spend and invest it wisely. I'd DEARLY love an XBOX 360 or a PS3- Yet, It is not important enough or valuable enough to have it now. Being wise, knowing the value of practicing delayed gratification- investing in the future of THEIR children-.The people of El Florido humble me and show me that I must fix myself on greater and more vital values.

The PS 2 and my limited computer capacity are good enough for today!  Thank you ,God, for showing me that this is the way things NEED to be for ME for the nonce!

- Johnny -

No comments:

Post a Comment