Popular Posts

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Mountain Mafia Message

 I've long dabbled in writing devotions and Bible Studies for children and youth both. Those efforts on my part, have been carried on in an on and off fashion for nearly 30 years! I've had some good results with some of these writings. Yet, Due to my shortsightedness and stubbornness, They've proven to be more of a labor and a struggle rather than a joy!

  I like to use contemporary themes and I try to be clever and witty. Yet, I try to provide too much depth and and analysis- to be blunt- I've been guilty of drowning my readers in depth and analysis. I've tended to operate in a style of  trying to make sure that I cover every detail, answer every possible question or observation as well as provide 20 Scripture Verses when 2 or 3 would have been most effective.

 When I was in Mexico earlier this month, I challenged and dared myself to think over many things that  I am involved in that just don't seem to be working either smoothly or well. I decided that I need to at least experiment with writing more succinctly and to the point.

 I learned a game- a card game while I was in Mexico- from the fellow members of  my team. The Game is called "Mafia" The idea is that one card is doled out to each player. If you are handed a King- You are a Mafia Member. If you are doled out a King, Then you are a police officer. A Jack and You are a body guard. The game has a narrator who tells the story of the events of the following night. Everyone, aside from the narrator, put their head down and has their heads down. The narrator ask The Body Guard to lift his or her head and choose someone to save. Then The Mafia Members are asked to raise their heads and agree to kill someone. There are four Mafia Members. There are 2 Kings passed out- whoever holds them are the police- they seek to identify the Mafia Members. The narrator- with a thumbs up or down lets the police know if they have "gotten" a Mafia Member

  After all that, Everyone lifts their heads. The narrator indicates if anyone has died that night- has the Body Guard done their job well. Then, The townspeople try to figure out who the Mafia members are, If someone is fingered as a mobster, A vote is taken. If the townspeople are shrewd the reduce the criminal element of their town- if they do not do well they may execute as towns person, the body guard or a policeman. The object is to get the 4 Mobsters- or 4 the Mafia Members to eliminate the bodyguard and the police force!

  I  do not- I must confess- do well in the game. However, This game did help me to develop the name for my
new devotional series- a Bi- Weekly more focused and to the point devotional. El Florido, The community where we of the Grace Church Team worked is- as I have noted- near the top of a small mountain So, That gave the name to the series- The Mountain Mafia Message.

 If you are curious and would like me to send you one of them, Please let me know.

 - Johnny -

No comments:

Post a Comment