Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Involvement in The Campaign Structure beyond voting !

 I've been involved, in years past, as a campaign volunteer and, at one point, as a campaign staffer. This is great way to offer support and, believe it or not, advice and recommendations to either the candidate or to those who have influence, those who hold sway with the man or woman seeking to gain or retain elected office.

 I've handed out campaign buttons and pamphlets, I've answered the telephones. I've stuffed envelopes. I actually once got to write a position paper. My one experience as a campaign staffer was as The Assistant Director for The Youth effort for a Candidate running to be The Governor of Maryland.

 I believe very strongly that our leaders are elected to represent us - to listen to us and to govern in a way that clearly demonstrates that their actions are able to be traced back to the spoken, written and the electrically transmitted will of the people.

There are some people who take the view that-"  If you elect me, You are saying that you trust my wisdom and opinions. You are trusting that I will do what I think best for you, your neighbors and what is in the best interest of everyone residing in our community. Sometimes, People don't think through what they are asking for, it is up to me to decide not to do what is not, in my judgement wise or prudent. If enough people agree with how I've conducted myself as your representative, I'll be re-elected! If not, Then someone else will hold this office after the next election!"

 Sometimes, You do need to think independently and use wisdom and common sense- not every expression of the people's will is created either equal or worthy of support. However, Sometimes when people run for office, They are not willing to listen to or take seriously ideas that they personally oppose. A few years ago, I heard a woman, Penny Gross, who was running for re-election to a position on the Fairfax County, Va Board of Supervisors. Some voters expressed to her concerns over dealing with illegal immigrants in their neighborhood. They had two specific concerns- Too many cars and trucks parked in tin the garage and on the lawn of neighboring homes and finding the trash thrown on their lawns. They were asking Supervisor Gross  to assure them that she work to have Fairfax County Zoning Laws and criminal codes  would be enforced.

Her response was, " Change can be unsettling." Those voters were looking for a commitment to action, not a lecture or a philosophy discourse. There are good reasons to be alert and aware and involved when political campaigns are occurring!

No comments:

Post a Comment