Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When solemly made promises and commitments are easily dismissed

Someone looks you in the eye, shakes your hand firmly and tells you, " I promise that I will do this", We are, as people of good faith and honor expected to respect them and honor them by taking their words and stated intentions seriously. How, then, are expected to respond when we are later TOLD that, " I'm sorry, What I promised is not going to happen. We both know tthat I was foolish to commit myself to do that. I know you'll understand!", So, Do you then, as a mature and responsible need to, indeed, understand and accept what you've heard and move on.!?


I have stated many times in various venues that one of my favorite verses in the Bible is Psalms 15:4, " If you make a promise, Keep it , EVEN if it ruins you!". That means I have a responsibility to think carefully BEFORE I make a promise. However, Once I make a promise. I feel most honor bound to keep it. I also honestly cannot remember breaking a promise to a child.

My bottom line on this is- If your word is unreliable and cannot be trusted , then you are making a statement about who you are as a person!

No comments:

Post a Comment