Popular Posts

Monday, February 28, 2011

A Homeless Man given a HUNDRED!!! Dollars in the EARLY!! 1960's !!??

        Half- a -century ago, Almost no one thought of homelessness as an issue.No one was actively a part of large community or national rallies to demand that the homeless be well-provided for.Yet, I just read on Page 241 of a Best Selling Biography of a well known man giving a HUNDRED DOLLARS to a homeless man outside of a hotel in MAJOR US City.

Who could this very enlightened -obviously- person be? Who could this erudite, caring, well-educated, savvy and socially aware and enlightened soul be? Albert Schweitzer? Mother Teresa? Ted Kennedy? Eleanor Roosevelt? Mitch Snyder? Martin Luther King? or perhaps just an anonymous wealthy and noble social organizer? I could go on with this. I do believe that you will find the answer to this as startling as I did when I first learned of this fact! The book that I  found this information in is entitled - The Last Boy. The Subtitle of this tome is-  Mickey Mantle And The End of America's Childhood. The man who donated this 100 dollars without declaring a press conference right after giving this to a down and out man in New York City was the then Center fielder for the New York Yankees.

 You noticed, a short time ago, that I wrote in another blog entry that Mickey was vilified , by some for exploiting his celebrity to move to the front of the line in order to get a liver transplant. This same biography shows in great detail, that Mickey was rather lacking both as a faithful husband and a good father. Sports writers often described him as being " mean , surly, obnoxious and immature." I am not going to try to praise my Caesar- Number 7 was ,after all ,My Boyhood hero- by attempting to deny or explain away any of what I JUST typed!

 However, Mickey Mantle did give a hundred dollars to a homeless man. He often welcomed rookies to the team with great enthusiasm. He also offered to be the first person to listen to them when they felt an overwhelming need to unburden themselves.He often picked up dinner checks. At one point, The Mick left a 50.00 tip for a waitress after having lunch with a teammate. The team mate, feeling that Mickey was being far too generous protested his action, " Mick, The bill is TOO small for that tip." Mantle, speaking softly but very intensely said, " I've seen people bust their azzes to make just about nothin'. I know how hard this girl worked and that is the tip I am leavin' for her!" He cared about people, knew some people really needed a boost and was willing and eager, at times certainly NOT always, to provide it. Mantle also said that when he first joined the Yankees, he idolized Joe DiMaggio and it hurt him that Joe ignored him. He practiced the idea, at some level, treat others as you want to be treated!

 Here in The Washington Area, An NBA legend played his final games. He came to Washington invited here by the then owner of the Team, Abe Pollin.. Pollin want this King of Hoops to put his style and imprint on his team. Brought here to become a part owner and team executive, This legend decided that he wanted to play one last time and became an active player once again.

 This Lord of The Court still played amazingly well for periods of times. Yet, He was known to mistreat rookies for not playing well in games for not practicing at a standard that he found acceptable. He was heard make insulting comments about their manhood and their sexual orientation. He once challenged a statement made by the owner about the salary demands of free agents. This legend smirked, " If he is too cheap to spend what he needs to spend, He needs to sell the team to someone who will."

 He played for Abe Pollin for 2 years. At the end of the second season, He promptly retired again and shortly there after he was invited to come to a meeting with Mr. Pollin. He expected to be offered more of the team and be set up to eventually own the team. Instead, He was told, " I don't want you as my partner. I do not like how you treat my players. I don't like how you disrespect me." The Legend left that day humbled and humiliated.

 I am absolutely certain this NBA legend has done some noble things some noteworthy and  impressive things outside of the game of Basketball. I know this just as I know that Mickey Mantle has his clear failings! I guess it is often true that you will notice every misstep of people that you have a low regard for and will ignore the missteps of those who you greatly favor.

Mickey, as much as I thought I knew you, I discovered a reason that I did not expect to find to consider you to be noble and, indeed, a hero!

- Johnny -

No comments:

Post a Comment