Popular Posts

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Wow and Yuck! A Life Long Yankee fan's Critical Look at Mickey Mantle.

 My Boyhood hero- The arguably most naturally gifted- in terms of RAW potiential- athlete ever to play American Sports! 7 Times the Best player on a World Championship team. I could go on and on and on with superlatives to describe Mickey Charles Mantle ! I an sorely tempted to do so!

 In the early 1950's, He was compared favorably as a baseball player to Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. Yet, Even then his stubborness, his unwillingness to take directions and his not listening to those who wanted him to take better care of himself.

 His refusal to train likely made severe injuries take a worse toll on his athletic abilities then they needed to. His drinking ruined personal relationships, family relationships and him.

Sadly ,Some remember him as a man who used his celebrity to get moved ahead in line for a liver transplant. he, poignantly said " Don't be like me" not all that long before he died from cancer. He saw his life , at that point as being promise ruined by horrible choices that he made.

  As a boy, I saw Mickey Mantle as the hero that made an abused -tainted child hood more tolerable, As a man, I now see that, He had to struggle to rise beyond his foibles just as I do!

 If I ,one day, meet him in heaven, I SHALL thank him for both.

 - Johnny -

No comments:

Post a Comment