Over the last 3 and a 1/2 years, We've seen a lot of budget cutting at all levels of government. I think that no matter what our political pedigree we can all come to a general agreement on what services are, in a broad sense, more valuable than others.
In Northern Virginia, The cuts have really hit pubic libraries. Hours shortened, libraries closed, libraries being closed on Sundays and one day of the week in edition, magazines no longer subscribed to, new book orders being curtailed. It seems, to me, my opinion, that the libraries take deep cuts and each of the 6 or 7 times the budgets have been cut locally- the libraries seem to be the first to announce cutbacks and reductions of service.
I think that we know that counties seem to cut not inn consensus areas of waste- where it would be quick to agree on cuts but in areas that will quickly elicit painful screams and protests. I think that, it would actually be better to see what services the public values most and least,. The areas seen as least valuable is where the axe needs to be applied first and then work you way up. When people become more fit, They, wisely , decide to eat more sensibly, reduce fat and increase muscle. Budget Cutting should be tied to this same paradigm.
Is the purpose to remove what is least desirable, viewed as least beneficial and what will be missed least when it is gone? To me that MUST be the instructions elected officials are given when it comes to crafting and executing service reduction and the shrinking or even abolishing of agencies.
Any thing else is serving agendas and choosing not to be a true public servant - a man or woman responsive to the will and desire of the individuals that they are elected to both represent and serve!
- Johnny-
Popular Posts
-
All things start and all things move forward and come to an end so shall it now be with This Beloved Blog of Mine! The First entry was ty...
-
Adam LaRoche, The First Basemen for The Washington Nationals just MIGHT have made life easier for Principals and Teache...
-
We are now hearing about what a BRUTAL and Nasty bully New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is. The last two Redskin head coaches and the ...
-
and I've actually thrived here - in GREATER DC.
-
I am only as sick as my secrets! That which I so intensely hide tends to warp and corrupt me. Expressing myself and telling you what I thin...
-
I was in the midst of working- tutoring a nine year old boy when the Earthquake struck,. The room went up and down the lights flickered and...
-
However, That does not mean, even on the verge, that waiting isn't appropriate and most necessary.
-
Darn! I must remember that sports do not = life!
-
the Finish Line .
-
What you do when you are in a situation where you feel strongly about something and really!!! want your way, There are times when you can t...
No comments:
Post a Comment