Popular Posts

Friday, December 3, 2010

Barbie And Avon

 An Avon Catalog dropped off at my door - I'm guessing as a part of as mass distribution effort- rested against my apartment door when I arrived home a while ago! On the cover is a picture of a Barbie Doll. I'm guessing this is a cross promotion with Mattel. I'm guessing because this booklet is written only in Spanish . I guess because this neighborhood has a large and continuing to expand Latino population. However while my last name is Hispanic, I do not identify myself as as a Latino and I do not speak Spanish. Clearly their target location methods are in need of- LOL- improvement.

 I find this as interesting as Barbie is often seen as impressing upon young girls an image/model of what "feminine beauty  and sexiness is!" It is seen, by many, to be a stereotypical images that depicts an unrealistic and sexist body image. It is also seen as imposing an idealized picture of "white beauty" as the standard that all women " should strive to emulate"! If Barbie were an actual human being, Her measurements would be 36-18-33. Very stylized clearly and out- of- touch with reality. I must say that I do not see many women in this neighborhood with a figure reminiscent of Barbie

So, Peddling this image to Latino women and their daughters seems to be to be tres bizarre, outlandish and rather racist!I also can't imagine that there would be many Latino women who would have "Barbie -Like" figures- just not commonly occurring in the body type.

 I've always heard that Avon believes in celebrating women and giving them the tools to enhance their own PERSONAL attractiveness! Barbie works into this equation- how?

- Johnny -

No comments:

Post a Comment