Popular Posts

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sorry, I'm NOT willing to be manipulated and played with.

Anyone who has spent any time in the JOHNNYVERSE knows that I spend a significant amount of time listening to talk radio programs of  ALL STRIPES!

I admit I've become increasingly irked by some of the ways of my FAVORITE talk show hosts. They will tell the callers, " I don't know what that means! " or " That doesn't make any sense." or Even telling the callers to " Stop and not speak" or, in my view inexcusably worse, rudely saying, "SHHHHHHHHH!!!" to callers.

If someone is babbling incoherently or is calling a show just to stir up problems or sabotage the show, I readily see the need for the HOST to exercise tight command and control.However, If what he or she is saying makes sense and is clear and direct, then you irritate the caller and the listeners by insisting that they " Be clear or further describe in more detail what they are talking about!", This is just not treating the person on the other side of the conversation as an intelligent and capable person that you respect!

Some know that I have strong feelings on the ethics that should prevail on Forums and other publicly posted electronically- generated conversation, debate, discussion , commentary or analysis. People who are forthright, proper and express themselves well should not be targeted for abuse, belittling and bullying. Disagreeing with someone because they express emotions- as an example- or seek to be vulnerable and self-disclosive seems to be a heinously barbaric way to deal with people. As I've opined, These tactics are not a good way to win friends and influence people positively or effectively.

Thus, I think the talk show hosts who do not honor their callers are being rude and using and toying with those who make their incomes and career possible.I learned , as both a full time and a substitute teacher, that some students plan to allow as little to transpire during class as possible, They are the ones who will protest that NO instruction ever given to them is ever " simple or clear enough. They are the ones who will interrupt instructions by stating aloud a variety of nonsequitors.A teacher friend of mine refers to this behavior as "theft of instruction". For the student who militantly prevents the teacher from teaching defrauds every OTHER student in that class.

One of the greatest victories of Calendar Year 2010 has been becoming confident in knowing myself! I am able to express myself lucidly and pointedly  in much greater detail. I've grown immensely as a public speaker and a writer. I'm also about 50% better as a listener than I was at Christmastime 2009. I've grown as a fundraiser and a mental health advocate. So, When someone wants to label me as a " fool, delusional or a "NO! NOTHING!", I look back on what I've said, written and posted, If it still seems reasonable to me, I've been taught to consider the source and to decide that the source truly isn't worthy of much considered based on the words and attitude.

I really see that I do not serve my self or anyone else when I respond to bullying and vituprative arguments in kind. It is best to either ignore such measures or to state that adhominem arguments are really childish and useless. If I think it is possible, I will ask that our discussion return to an intelligent, logical and precise analysis of the issue of the moment. If they can't respond civilly and maturely to that- Then the interaction needs to cease.If this is a pattern that seems to persist over time, Then, I want to not be in contact with that person at all.

Bullying and Nastiness to be nasty- No thank you!  Being an aware accomplice to my own bullying- That  is just so 2009!

- Johnny -

No comments:

Post a Comment