Popular Posts

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A No Good, Terrible, Very Bad Place to Live.

 " That is NOT a good neighborhood.", " I will ONLY go there have I must!", "The neighborhood is simply run down and undesirable."- Are these valid ways to describe why people may not want to love in a neighborhood or think that their address su*ks! Or, Are these words that are, in effect, code words?

Most people will say that such comments are only spoken by small-minded, provincial,prejudiced and bigoted men and women. I was homeless for 6 months years ago. I am grateful for having shelter.

Yet, I have had heat very inconsistently in my apartment, I often wake up to an icy apartment. The maintenance staff responds to requests for repairs v-----e---r-----y ----- slowly! They then usually need to come multiple times to repair further damage done their first unsuccessful efforts.

I have a friend who tells me that that since I am living in County Subsidized housing I cannot expect good service. She tells me that I just need to adjust to " slum living conditions". She also reminds me of how she thinks it is dangerous to be in my neighborhood after dark. She won't admit it but she does remind me of the number of "illegals" who live in my area. I'm not a big supporter of the undocumenteds but does their presence
automatically make a neighborhood "run down".

I'd like better service and I'd like to be warm. So,, I guess I need to set that aside and appreciate what I do have because- I could have much less!

- Johnny-

No comments:

Post a Comment