My Boyhood hero- The arguably most naturally gifted- in terms of RAW potiential- athlete ever to play American Sports! 7 Times the Best player on a World Championship team. I could go on and on and on with superlatives to describe Mickey Charles Mantle ! I an sorely tempted to do so!
In the early 1950's, He was compared favorably as a baseball player to Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. Yet, Even then his stubborness, his unwillingness to take directions and his not listening to those who wanted him to take better care of himself.
His refusal to train likely made severe injuries take a worse toll on his athletic abilities then they needed to. His drinking ruined personal relationships, family relationships and him.
Sadly ,Some remember him as a man who used his celebrity to get moved ahead in line for a liver transplant. he, poignantly said " Don't be like me" not all that long before he died from cancer. He saw his life , at that point as being promise ruined by horrible choices that he made.
As a boy, I saw Mickey Mantle as the hero that made an abused -tainted child hood more tolerable, As a man, I now see that, He had to struggle to rise beyond his foibles just as I do!
If I ,one day, meet him in heaven, I SHALL thank him for both.
- Johnny -
Popular Posts
-
All things start and all things move forward and come to an end so shall it now be with This Beloved Blog of Mine! The First entry was ty...
-
Adam LaRoche, The First Basemen for The Washington Nationals just MIGHT have made life easier for Principals and Teache...
-
and I've actually thrived here - in GREATER DC.
-
I am only as sick as my secrets! That which I so intensely hide tends to warp and corrupt me. Expressing myself and telling you what I thin...
-
I was in the midst of working- tutoring a nine year old boy when the Earthquake struck,. The room went up and down the lights flickered and...
-
About 2 hours ago, I was at a nearby Supermarket, I noticed a young, athletic-looking man wearing a "Wounded Warrior" T- Shirt. ...
-
My Church held its' annual meeting last night. My Pastor announced that my Church would be doing more in the way of women's minist...
-
However, That does not mean, even on the verge, that waiting isn't appropriate and most necessary.
-
Darn! I must remember that sports do not = life!
-
We are now hearing about what a BRUTAL and Nasty bully New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is. The last two Redskin head coaches and the ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment