Popular Posts

Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Quarter at Ballston Commons Mall.

    As I was preparing to exit The Ballston Commons Mall in Arlington, Virginia last night , I noticed a portion of a Salvation Army Kettle Display. What first brought it to my attention was the Salvation Army's motto/logo, ""Doing The Most Good" on a portion of the stand. It was leaning against a barrier sans the trademark Red Kettle. No Army member was attending it!

   There was a flat area embedded within the tripod, creating its' center. I placed a quarter there, hoping, perhaps naively that whoever would come for that stand would also see THAT quarter! Now, There is a 99.3% chance that someone passing by noted that quarter and simply snagged it. To use a street phrase that I am NOT normally fond of, That is ON them and not really my problem if someone did that!

 The idea again , as I've stated repeatedly that was a free will offering, something that I chose to provide. It is a small amount but my means are CURRENTLY very limited! About 25 minutes later, I exited the East Falls Church Metro Station and I saw a young man with an artificial leg  holding a sign that simply state"Homeless". I gave him 40 cents and I apologized to him for not, at this time, being able to do more.

 I know 65 cents- petty, insufficient and meaningless in any scheme of things. Yet, Aren't we often told no matter how much we pay in taxes we really should be paying MORE because what we pay is vastly insufficient to meet the needs of our poorest and most under-provided for citizens?

The Salvation Army works on a philosophy of- We will work with you to improve your lives. Self- Image based on an improving life is one of their strongest motivating concepts. I was moved by the young man and while admittingly scanty, I gave because I was moved by his circumstance! So, What is the best way to address need? How do we learn to care or does the government address that issue in a superior fashion to anything that "We The People" or We, The INDIVIDUAL American" do or can POSSIBLY do?

 - Johnny -

No comments:

Post a Comment