Stifle-a word that was very prominently present in and throughout The 1970's. The word means to cut off or to limit, to ask someone to hold back and to be a self-censor! If you watched the TV Show All in The Family it is a word often Spoken by Archie Bunker- who was played by Carroll O'Connor.
Archie often said this to order his wife Edith - played by Jean Stapleton- to say nothing that he did NOT agree with or wish to hear. One of the elaborate jokes of the CBS series is that Edith still managed to get out what she had to say despite being told repeatedly to "stifle" as she managed to express herself fully!
In 2010, We see stifling as a negative, as something it is just wrong to try to impose upon others! We may argue with others and not at all want to hear what they have to say, but we do not believe as we , as a society once did that we can simply, because that is how we wish it to be, order people to be silent.
I am, as I have noted, very much of a traditionalist and a conservative. Yet, I do so that living in the 2010's offers some better options that living in the 1970's did!
Popular Posts
-
All things start and all things move forward and come to an end so shall it now be with This Beloved Blog of Mine! The First entry was ty...
-
Adam LaRoche, The First Basemen for The Washington Nationals just MIGHT have made life easier for Principals and Teache...
-
We are now hearing about what a BRUTAL and Nasty bully New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is. The last two Redskin head coaches and the ...
-
and I've actually thrived here - in GREATER DC.
-
I am only as sick as my secrets! That which I so intensely hide tends to warp and corrupt me. Expressing myself and telling you what I thin...
-
I was in the midst of working- tutoring a nine year old boy when the Earthquake struck,. The room went up and down the lights flickered and...
-
However, That does not mean, even on the verge, that waiting isn't appropriate and most necessary.
-
Darn! I must remember that sports do not = life!
-
the Finish Line .
-
What you do when you are in a situation where you feel strongly about something and really!!! want your way, There are times when you can t...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment